[Lingtyp] language typology, linguistic typology, comparative linguistics

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Wed Feb 28 13:08:34 UTC 2018

What linguistics (or biology for that matter, or sociology, or whatever)
*isn't* comparative?

I can understand why a university department, or a journal, might wish
to focus on, say, Russian Linguistics, to the exclusion of the
linguistics of other languages.  (And analogously for, say,
ornithology.)  For this reason, in order to exclude such
language-specific delimitations, the term "general linguistics" is
sometimes used — though I would say that the modifier "general" here is
redundant.  But I can't imagine a science of language (in general) that
didn't compare languages.

Well okay, I remember getting my first linguistic education in a
department that kind of tried to do that, by looking carefully at
English and making inferences from English to "Universal Grammar". But
even they have moved away from that and towards comparing diverse
languages (as Anders pointed out a short while ago).  So it's not, or no
longer, the notion of comparison per se that distinguishes an "us" from
a "them".