[Lingtyp] Quotations of speech vs. quotations of thoughts

Randy J. LaPolla randy.lapolla at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 15:19:23 UTC 2018

Dear Denys,
Michael Halliday has explicitly stated that there is a certain order to the development. I’ll attach the pages summarising this view in his 1994 Introduction to Functional Grammar (2nd edition), so you can get the idea.

All the best,
Randy
-----
Randy J. LaPolla, PhD FAHA (羅仁地)
Professor of Linguistics and Chinese, School of Humanities
Nanyang Technological University
HSS-03-45, 14 Nanyang Drive | Singapore 637332
http://randylapolla.net/
Most recent book:
https://www.routledge.com/The-Sino-Tibetan-Languages-2nd-Edition/LaPolla-Thurgood/p/book/9781138783324