[Lingtyp] Quotations of speech vs. quotations of thoughts

Wiemer, Bjoern wiemerb at uni-mainz.de
Sun Jan 7 09:07:06 UTC 2018

Dear All,
I think (!) part of this more elaborate argument concerning „think“ as referring to speech events should be that in Ian’s Trump-example below „thinks“ occurs as an ordinary complement-taking predicate, while quotatives are not CTPs, but syntactically disintegrated (often parentheticalized) comments. That is, they are not part of the constituent structure. Thus, I think (= would say…) that counterevidence to the claim that „think“ does not mark „speech events“ (as kind of „secondary quotative“) should be supplied from such parentheticalized or otherwise syntactically disintegrated usage (however conventionalized or not) and not from „ordinary“ matrix predicate constructions. Something that would look like

(1)     ?  I should be elected again, he thinks

(2)    ? I should be elected again-QUOT (< „think“)

Does SUCH counterevidence exist? I’d be curious as well…

Best,
Björn (Wiemer).