[Lingtyp] VOS languages and clausal complement extraposition

Olga Zamaraeva olzama at uw.edu
Wed Jan 10 23:19:49 UTC 2018

Dear all,

It is my understanding that clausal complements (in particular, objects)
often like to be at the end of the matrix clause. For example, in Turkic
languages, which often have basic SOV order, some clausal objects must be
extraposed; similarly in Persian, etc (Noonan, 2007).

Are there examples of V-initial (VOS) languages disallowing clausal objects
in sentence-medial position? I've come across mentions of it, for instance
that some Mayan languages do that (Aissen, 1992), but I am having a hard
time finding clear IGT examples in descriptive grammars.

Would anyone be able to point me to such a source?

Thank you,
Olga Zamaraeva
Ph.D. student
Department of Linguistics