[Lingtyp] CFP Workshop on measuring language complexity

chris at christianbentz.de chris at christianbentz.de
Tue Jan 23 07:46:42 UTC 2018

Dear colleagues,

find below our CFP for the workshop on "measuring language complexity"
at Evolang 2018. It would be great to have a typological perspectives on
the problem as well!

Best regards,
Chris Bentz

Measuring Language Complexity
Date and location: April 15, 2018, Torun, Poland (satellite event of
Evolang XII)
Call deadline: 01-Feb-2018
Website: http://www.christianbentz.de/MLC_index.html
Contact: aleksandrs.berdicevskis at lingfil.uu.se

Call for papers:
An influential line of thinking within evolutionary linguistics is that
languages change in response to socioecological pressures, i.e. adapt to
their environmental niches. Language complexity is a common parameter to
test for such adaptation. It is, however, notoriously difficult to
define and measure. Virtually every study of complexity uses its own
operationalization and measure. On one hand, this diversity is
beneficial for the field, since an intricate phenomenon is being studied
from different angles. On the other hand, the comparison of different
studies is inhibited. This is particularly problematic if different
measures yield different conclusions, since there currently is little
consensus about how measures themselves can be evaluated and compared.

To overcome this, we organize a shared task (shared tasks are widely
used in computational linguistics) on linguistic complexity, namely:
Measure and compare the complexities of a set of 37 language varieties
of 7 families (http://www.christianbentz.de/MLC_CFP.html). The
participants are free to choose whether they want to measure just one
facet of complexity or try to develop an overall complexity measure. The
complexity measure can be based on any conceivable metric. The
submissions, however, have to clearly state: 1) what exactly is being
measured; 2) how the measure is calculated, and the theoretical
rationale behind the method; 3) the resulting value for each language.

To facilitate the comparability of different measures, we request that
the participants who apply corpus-based measures use the corpora
available via the Universal Dependencies project, v2.1
(http://www.christianbentz.de/MLC_data.html). Participants are free to
decide which level of annotation they want to use. Plain-text files are
also available for those who do not need any annotation. Participants
who do not need corpora are exempt from this requirement. We also
require that the participants submit all relevant calculations and
scripts as supplementary materials (after acceptance).

The presentation format will depend on the number and quality of
submissions. We will allot a slot for a detailed discussion of the
proposed measures, their strengths, drawbacks and comparability, their
relation to each other, and the possibilities to flesh out uniform
approaches to measure language complexity and its evolution. We aim to
publish electronic proceedings and consider writing a joint paper based
on the conclusions of the workshop.

For further details, see http://www.christianbentz.de/MLC_CFP.html

Best regards,
Aleksandrs Berdicevskis