[Lingtyp] Call for Papers: High Desert Linguistics Society Conference

Lindsay Morrone lindsaymorrone at unm.edu
Fri Jul 6 19:12:20 UTC 2018

**Apologies for cross-posting**

HDLS 13: The 13th High Desert Linguistics Society Conference
November 9, 2018 - November 11 2018
University of New Mexico, Albuquerque

Conference website: https://hdls.unm.edu/conference/call_for_papers.html

CfP in American Sign Language: https://youtu.be/TJJrB80j5iU

Abstract Submission Deadline: August 1st, 2018

The High Desert Linguistics Society is pleased to announce our 13th biennial conference, HDLS 13. The conference will take place November 9–11, 2018 at the University
of New Mexico in Albuquerque, New Mexico. HDLS 13 will focus on functional linguistic research in cognition, typology, sociolinguistics, indigenous languages, and signed languages. This conference will also highlight interdisciplinary research from the point of view of psychology, anthropology, education, and computer science, among others.

We are honored to announce that our keynote presenters for HDLS 13 are:

• Peter Hauser (National Technical Institute for the Deaf, Rochester Institute of Technology)
• Ronald Langacker (University of California, San Diego)
• Norma Mendoza-Denton (University of California, Los Angeles)

Applicants can submit abstracts for presentations, posters, and themed panels. Abstracts for presentations and posters must be no more than 300 words (ASL submission; 2-4 minute video).

For themed panels, each presenter will have 20 minutes, plus 30 minutes of discussion for the panel as a whole. Presenters interested in this format are responsible for deciding who will be part of the suggested panel. Only one document should be submitted per panel. The document should include the proposed panel topic (300 words; 2-4 minutes), and how each presenter will contribute to it (500 words; 4-6 minutes).

Abstracts may be submitted in English, Spanish, and American Sign Language. Applicants may submit one single authored and one co-authored abstract.

• Abstracts in PDF format:  https://easychair.org/cfp/HDLS13.
• Video Submissions: Email Dropbox/Google Drive links to your file to hdls at unm.edu<mailto:hdls at unm.edu>.

All papers presented at HDLS 13 will be eligible for submission to the peer-reviewed open access journal Languages. (See website for more information.)

Best Poster Presentation Award:
HDLS is proud to present the Best Poster Presentation Award ($250) sponsored by the open access journal Languages. Details to be announced soon.

Alumni Event and Book Launch: Thursday, November 8th, 2018:
Conference participants are invited to join us for an alumni social gathering and the launch of Bilingualism in the Community, by Rena Torres Cacoullos & Catherine Travis.
Please see https://hdls.unm.edu/conference/related-events.html for more details.
Important Dates:
Submission Deadline: August 1, 2018
Notification of Acceptance: September 3, 2018
Conference Dates: Friday, November 9, 2018 - Sunday, November 11, 2018

As one of our priorities is to ensure accessibility for all conference participants, American Sign Language interpreters will be provided for the duration of HDLS 13. We will, therefore, be reaching out to all of our accepted presenters in mid-September to request any initial material that you may have (e.g., outlines, drafts) that we can pass along to our interpreters for them to begin preparing and to ensure a successful and equitable experience for all of our participants.

All questions regarding submissions should be emailed to hdls at unm.edu<mailto:hdls at unm.edu>. For more information, please visit http://hdls.unm.edu<http://hdls.unm.edu/>.