[Lingtyp] A sample of tonal languages?

Joo Ian ian.joo at outlook.com
Sat Jul 14 14:39:46 UTC 2018

Dear all,

As I could not find any sample of tonal languages, I am creating my own sample. The goal is to have all language genealogically distinct, and preferably areally evenly distributed as well (although I am not sure whether the areal balance is possible.)
I currently have 25 languages in my list:

Indo-European/ Eastern Panjabi [pan]
Sino-Tibetan/ Mandarin Chinese [cmn]
Atlantic-Congo/ Yoruba [yor]
Afro-Asiatic/ Somali [som]
Austroasiatic/ Vietnamese [vie]
Hmong-Mien/ Hmong Daw [mww]
Austronesian/ Cemuhî [cam]
Nilotic/ Luo (Kenya and Tanzania) [luo]
Mayan/ Yucatec Maya [yua]
Tupian/ Mundurukú [myu]
Trans-New Guinea/ Enga [enq]
Uto-Aztecan/ Northern Tepehuan [ntp]
Huavean/ San Mateo del Mar Huave [huv]
Otomanguean/ Meqzuital Otomi [ote]
Chibchan/ Bribri [bzd]
Khoe-Kwadi/ Khoekhoe [naq]
Mpur/ Mpur [akc]
Eyak-Athabaskan/ Navajo [nav]
Kx'a/ Northwestern !Kung [vaj]
Athabaskan-Eyak-Tlingit/ Tlingit [tli]
Burushaski/ Burushaski [bsk]
Sandawe/ Sandawe [sad]
Ticuna/ Ticuna [tca]
Tucanoan/ Tucano [tuo]
Iroquoian/ Cherokee [chr]

The goal is to have at least 50 languages. The purpose of making this list is to make a database of Leipzig-Jakarta List of tonal languages to see if certain tones appear more frequently in morphemes for a certain meaning (for example, high tones for ‘small’, low tones for ‘big’.).
I would greatly appreciate it if you could add any language from a different language family (or language isolate) to the list. Any comments on the list itself is welcome too.

>From Hong Kong,
Ian Joo
http://ianjoo.academia.edu