[Lingtyp] A sample of tonal languages?

Larry M. HYMAN hyman at berkeley.edu
Sat Jul 14 14:52:44 UTC 2018

Joo - I have a "catalogue" of 665 tone systems in Filemaker Pro. I call it
a catalogue because it isn't in shape to be widely used as a reliable
database. It summarizes notes I have taken on these languages.
I mostly use it for quick reference, although it is possible to get some
ideas about how many languages have how many/which tones.vSome of our
Berkeley graduate students have used these notes to do
various studies of tone systems, also a Tone Systems overview that Will
Leben and I wrote:

http://linguistics.berkeley.edu/phonlab/documents/2017/Hyman_Leben.pdf

Here's a sample entry, where you can see that it'd be hard to interpret
some of my fields:

On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 7:39 AM, Joo Ian <ian.joo at outlook.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>

> As I could not find any sample of tonal languages, I am creating my own
> sample. The goal is to have all language genealogically distinct, and
> preferably areally evenly distributed as well (although I am not sure
> whether the areal balance is possible.)
>
> I currently have 25 languages in my list:
>

> Indo-European/ Eastern Panjabi [pan]
>
> Sino-Tibetan/ Mandarin Chinese [cmn]
>
> Atlantic-Congo/ Yoruba [yor]
>
> Afro-Asiatic/ Somali [som]
>
> Austroasiatic/ Vietnamese [vie]
>
> Hmong-Mien/ Hmong Daw [mww]
>
> Austronesian/ Cemuhî [cam]
>
> Nilotic/ Luo (Kenya and Tanzania) [luo]
>
> Mayan/ Yucatec Maya [yua]
>
> Tupian/ Mundurukú [myu]
>
> Trans-New Guinea/ Enga [enq]
>
> Uto-Aztecan/ Northern Tepehuan [ntp]
>
> Huavean/ San Mateo del Mar Huave [huv]
>
> Otomanguean/ Meqzuital Otomi [ote]
>
> Chibchan/ Bribri [bzd]
>
> Khoe-Kwadi/ Khoekhoe [naq]
>
> Mpur/ Mpur [akc]
>
> Eyak-Athabaskan/ Navajo [nav]
>
> Kx'a/ Northwestern !Kung [vaj]
>
> Athabaskan-Eyak-Tlingit/ Tlingit [tli]
>
> Burushaski/ Burushaski [bsk]
>
> Sandawe/ Sandawe [sad]
>
> Ticuna/ Ticuna [tca]
>
> Tucanoan/ Tucano [tuo]
>
> Iroquoian/ Cherokee [chr]
>

> The goal is to have at least 50 languages. The purpose of making this list
> is to make a database of Leipzig-Jakarta List of tonal languages to see if
> certain tones appear more frequently in morphemes for a certain meaning
> (for example, high tones for ‘small’, low tones for ‘big’.).
>
> I would greatly appreciate it if you could add any language from a
> different language family (or language isolate) to the list. Any comments
> on the list itself is welcome too.
>

> From Hong Kong,
>
> Ian Joo
>
> http://ianjoo.academia.edu

Larry M. Hyman, Professor of Linguistics & Executive Director,
France-Berkeley Fund
Department of Linguistics, University of California, Berkeley
http://linguistics.berkeley.edu/people/person_detail.php?person=19