[Lingtyp] Syncretism between forms encoding source and agent

Sebastian Nordhoff sebastian.nordhoff at glottotopia.de
Sat Jul 21 15:58:31 UTC 2018

On 07/21/2018 12:26 PM, David Gil wrote:
> Sebastian,
>
> I was careful in my response to specify that I was talking abut the
> Kirinda dialect of Sri Lankan Malay, because, in my notes, I do see that
> you had once provided me with different data from the Kandy dialect.
>
> My citation of agent-marking /dari/ in Kirinda (where it actually
> surfaces as a postposition /(de)ring/) is based on my own fieldwork
> there, subsequently corroborated by Peter Slomanson, who has been
> working there for years.
>
> Since the use of /dari/ to mark agents is widespread in those eastern
> Malay varieties on which Sri Lankan Malay is based, I would suspect that
> — contrary to your suggestion — its occurrence in Kirinda is a
> retention, and its (near-)loss in Kandy an innovation.

Hi David,
sorry, I was being imprecise when I said "Sri Lanka Malay". I meant the
variety I had investigated (which I termed "Upcountry Sri Lanka Malay").
It is my impression that all Malays not living in the Southeast can be
said to share this variety.

I checked and I can also add that the use of instrumental /dering/ on
human actors is also attested in the non-Kirinda variety. However, both
instances I found involve the word /maathi/ 'to die' and have
/terrorist/ as the agent. /Maathi/ normally only takes an undergoer
argument (just like /die/). So if you want to add an actor, you have to
resort to some special marking, similar to /at the hands of/ in English.

I would conjecture that one would not find sentences like "John-INSTR
ate a mango", but I am not in a position to check this right now.

As for the retention, it makes perfect sense. It is clear that /dari/ is
the etymological source for today's /dering/. Some of its former uses
have been dropped, but the ones that remained have often done so because
there was a similar use of the corresponding form in Sinhala or Tamil.

Best wishes
Sebastian