[Lingtyp] collective action marking

Jirat Hiranras h.jirat at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 08:23:56 UTC 2018

I am working on reciprocals in Thai and want to share that Thai speakers
mark both reciprocal and collective sentences (and also distributive) with
a particle/adverb *kan *(see Iwasaki & Ingkaphirom 2005). As a collective
marker, *kan *can occur following any kind of verbs, either trans or
intrans, as long as the subject is plural (unlike for reciprocal-marking
where verbs are restricted to trans only). However, speakers prefer to use
*kan *for reciprocals rather than collective, so another way (and also the
major mean) is to combine *kan *with an adverb *duay *‘too/also’, for
example, *A B tham kaan-baan kan/duay-kan *‘A and B do homework together.’
This is also similar to the case of  *kan *in Lao (see Enfield 2007).

Hope it helps.

Jirat Hiranras

PhD candidate, School of Culture, History and Language

The Australian National University