[Lingtyp] collective action marking

Tianqiao Lu lutianqiao at maonan.org
Wed Jul 25 01:57:49 UTC 2018

Dear Randy,
First of all, the prefix "co-" can be regarded as a sort of plural marker. Daniel was faster than I to mention this. :-)

The following short list of plural markers (or would-be markers) in Chinese might hopefully help.

The "co-" markers: 合 he-, 共 gong-
合办 heban: co-sponsor
合谋 hemou: co-plot
合计 heji: co-count, think over, also: total n.
合营 heying: co-run (a business), also: joint venture n.
合葬 hezang: co-bury, also: joint burial n.
共度 gongdu: co-spend (time), share (time)
共生 gognsheng: co-live, live together, also: symbiosis n.
共用 gongyong: co-use, share (things)
共有 gongyou: co-possess, co-own, share
共振 gongzhen: co-vibrate, resonate

The "mutually/reciprocally" marker: 互 hu-, 相 xiang-
互补 hubu: mutually-help, complement
互访 hufang: mutually-visit, exchange visits
互让 hurang: mutually-give way, also: mutual concession n.
互通 hutong: mutually-access, exchange (information)
互助 huzhu: mutually-help
相爱 xiang'ai: mutually-love, love each other
相伴 xiangban: mutually-accompany, accompany
相比 xiangbi: mutually-compare, compare with, match
相称 xiangchen: mutually-fit, match, live up to
相待 xiangdai: mutually-treat, treat each other

Best,
Tianqiao Lu
Jiangsu Normal Universty
China