[Lingtyp] collective action marking

Daniel Ross djross3 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 07:55:34 UTC 2018

All I intended to contribute here (in my earlier message) was that English
"co-" seems relevant for comparison. The rest is probably tangential, as
may be my reply below.

But I'm puzzled by a few points in your response, David:

First, (1) > (1') is a valid inference, if we interpret "write" in the
sense that "cowrite" is interpreted-- as part of the writing process. This
is especially easy as an inference with the progressive (as in your
example), although I can see why "Mary wrote the article" is strange, but
still may be valid depending on how loosely we interpret "write" in
academia ("Mary can say she has now written something in [the journal]
*Language*?"), so I think some of the quirkiness here comes from how we use
the term "cowrite" in academia in contrast to "write" although that is not
strictly necessary. The distinction is probably a pragmatic one, where
"cowrite" somehow has supplied an expectation of "not by oneself", whereas
likewise "coexist" does not have an inference of "exist by itself" in your
(3), etc. In summary, there are some tricky details related to lexical
aspect, grammatical aspect, and other factors, but I think, broadly
speaking, those examples behave similarly. (Oddly, I'm actually arguing
'against myself' here because you suggest that cowrite is the strongest in
support of my argument, but I'll address that in the point below.)

Second, you're correct that my phrasing may have been misleading: remove
the word "exactly" if you wish, or more relevantly reinterpret what I said
as referring to a cluster of related meanings. It's broadly the same as the
other examples from other languages, and I'd like to emphasize how much
variability (e.g., reflexive, reciprocal) there is in the examples given
for other languages just in the emails in the current conversation. I don't
think English is more variable than others. That's what I meant by English
"co-" being the same-- it functions similarly. Most importantly, what I
meant to point out is that this isn't some exotic function only found in
unfamiliar languages. Randy didn't give any examples from Kyrgyz in the
first email, but I imagine some of them would translate into English
relatively naturally with "co-".

Third, no one has directly responded to what I said about the semantics of
"coexpress", and *I welcome any counter examples where "co-" indicates
"variably"* rather than "together" (or "at the same time"). I'm not aware
of any. If there are some, then "coexpression" could fit that model. None
in your message, nor given by others, have the "alternatively"
interpretation. "Corefer" does not refer to ambiguous interpretations;
"coexist" does not refer to an electron being a wave and a particle;
"costar" does not refer to a single actor playing multiple roles. And so
forth. (Your opaque examples also mean "together" etymologically, not
"alternatively".) Martin's closest parallel suggestion was "coapply" but
that still means "together", not "alternatively"-- to coapply glue and tape
does not mean choosing one or the other in a particular context, but to do
both. [Another example might be "coteach" which could mean either (most
often) share teaching of a course together with someone, or (less
obviously) teach two topics in a single course, but never to teach two
different topics in different or alternating semesters.] "Coexpress" can
literally never actually express both things at the same time, whereas all
other "co-" words I can think of entail doing something "together"-- which
likewise is a "collective" interpretation (yes, vaguely with slight
variation, as noted above).

Additionally, some of the differences you suggest may be related to the
fact that English collectives with "co-" do not require a plural subject, a
point of cross-linguistic variation I mentioned in my previous message but
haven't explored (e.g., if plural subjects were required, would your
inferences apply or not?). I would also guess that as I hinted, the
derivational/lexicalized nature of "co-" explains some of the quirkiness in
particular verbs like "cowrite" (also "corefer"), whereas in some other
languages it may be more regular/productive (possibly also 'inflectional',
although that perhaps gets into unnecessary theoretical/terminological
issues).

The ways in which we agree include (at least):
1. Terms like "collectivity" are often used vaguely (though given the
multi-functionality/"coexpression"! of the same morphemes marking a variety
of functions, perhaps that is appropriate).
2. Looking at the semantics narrowly is important, and your contributions
are helpful.
3. My phrasing may have been misleading.

Thanks for your comments-- I agree with your suggestions for understanding
these constructions better. My reply here (and I hope your previous reply)
should not be read as indicating that we mostly disagree about this topic,
because I don't feel that we do.

Daniel