[Lingtyp] collective action marking

Daniel Ross djross3 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 04:07:20 UTC 2018

David,

Thank you for the clarifications. I still don't find the term
etymologically convincing, although I do agree it is convenient and
aesthetically pleasing, so as I said before maybe it'll be accepted for
that reason, independently of the etymology.

The problem I have with the abstract linguistic-system sense of "express"
as "mean" is that 'express' is not something that abstract linguistic
entities do, but specifically something that utterances do. (I would not
have the same objection to "co-mean" or "co-encode" although those are less
aesthetically pleasing.) I think this relates to what Seino van Breugel
said earlier, correctly observing that linguistic terms do not express but
rather restrict interpretations. I do not object to the traditional use of
the term "express" (as Seino suggested) because I find it to be clear as a
metonymic representation of speakers expressing something through their
utterances via those forms. However, in that sense, it doesn't intuitively
seem to me that "coexpress" should refer to any abstract linguistic-system
sense, given that expression occurs through usage, not systematic
relationships in a language.

"Collocate" is like the other terms-- it refers to instances of doing
something together, at the same time. My objection isn't to the
subject/object difference-- although indeed that makes "coexpress" unusual
and somewhat less intuitive. It is that "coexpress" can never refer to any
instance where the two (or more) meanings are expressed at the same time.
There are no other such terms I can think of, where "co-" refers to a
general/habitual/systematic sense, rather than at least possibly applying
to actual instances. Again, the only time when a word could in actual usage
"coexpress" at the same time would be in a pun. And to me, although
linguists rarely research puns, I'd rather not conflate that more intuitive
sense of "coexpress" with the other proposed usage.

I'm clearly now off on a tangent unrelated to the original conversation
here (wasn't sure about replying here or in the new 'terminology' tangent),
so I'll leave it at that. I don't intend to prescribe usage of terms; my
main point was just that Martin's claim that the term was somehow more
etymologically appropriate than "syncretize" didn't seem intuitively valid
to me, because neither one is quite right-- but we can use them, and make
them right, just through usage, as is typically done anyway.

And regarding the current conversation, I think it's important to think
about how "co-" and other collectives do require the arguments (whether
subjects or objects) to be "active" at the same time. So maybe that makes
my comments here slightly on topic.

Daniel

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 2:51 AM, David Gil <gil at shh.mpg.de> wrote:

> [...]
>> (2') This noun-phrase refers
>> (3') This species exists in this region
>> (4') Mary starred in the new movie
>>
>> (1) > (1') is not a valid inference.
>> (2) > (2') is a valid inference, but is weird (in ways that I don't have
>> time to go into).
>> (3) > (3') is a valid inference.
>> (4) > (4') is a valid inference.
>>
>> The most common understanding of the term "collective" is that it blocks
>> inferences from a plural set to its individual members.  Thus, under this
>> understanding, "co-" is marking collectivity in (1), perhaps also in (2),
>> but certainly not in (3) and (4).  Now it may be the case that all of the
>> above usages of "co-" share a common semantic core, but simply applying the
>> label "collective" to such a putative common meaning doesn't help much in
>> trying to figure out its nature.
>>
>> And to return briefly to the "coexpression" thread: given the diversity
>> of meanings of the "co-" prefix (which is hardly exhausted by the above
>> four examples — and this is even before we take into consideration its
>> opaque uses in "collect", "collate", etc.), I don't see any problem with
>> using it in the word "coexpression" in the sense intended by Martin and
>> others.
>>
>> David
>>
>> Gil, David (1996) "Maltese 'Collective Nouns':  A Typological
>> Perspective", *Rivista di Linguistica *8:53-87*.*
>>

>> On 24/07/2018 23:59, Daniel Ross wrote:
>>
>> In English, the (derivational) prefix "co-" seems to have exactly this
>> function, as I pointed out in the previous discussion on this list
>> regarding why I found the proposed term "coexpress(ion)" to be odd because
>> it refers to alternatives rather than collective action. I'm not sure where
>> this has been written about (but probably someone has, maybe for Latin?),
>> and it is derivational, perhaps not fully productive, but it does seem to
>> be able to form new verbs, so it seems to fit here.
>> (It is interesting to note that at least in more established verbs like
>> "cowrite", they do not strictly require a plural subject-- "I cowrote an
>> article", as long as the context allows for a reasonable interpretation. If
>> you're looking at the typology cross-linguistically that might be an
>> interesting point of variation to consider.)
>>
>> Daniel
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 8:11 AM, "Ekkehard König" <
>> koenig at zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Randy,
>>>
>>> rich information on the reciprocal - sociative/collective polysemy can be
>>> found in all of the Nedjalkov volumes. A condensed overview is given in
>>> Chapter 5 of the first volume. (I did a review of the 5 volumes for
>>> Language, 2011).
>>>

>>> Best wishes,
>>>
>>> Ekkehard

>>> references
>>> and

>>> and

>>> language.

>>> jDHpvduhLxc8xcFdeDWaQRDmx6JT631_HJ88j0WzNbUSSBJKa_anFZBkB1cS
>>> FVPmw9ikThvWoEF7RIEZwRrF41ZmOg8Q1r5KEyCUxZC5wuC28aG_DlUMVjf4
>>> vKly6Ga5U846AFU_8ciIgNuIsCxBZP90e2AXadGa_EaJF3qeI0PsXURTP7UI
>>> oNYFZSnz_SDDdFEuzk165x1qlfrXFPZWqpG2ZvIir6ai7vfmDn9hv5v1Fqfo
>>> z2YKBK325exE--qzqARuhIetwE_l8o-x0t3UnQiilemsqt4EqZfAOQo_BRlS
>>> yjjeIKhlCgtch0P5B9ppouqgFfeYSKqDwzhmlzNUAom_lTGiK5TO2YlOC2K2
>>> nbRFX-7nK89BmKSZm_brUS2-KjnVVKJrnPK9sM1XE5PPbNO8ggB4SPl9zw7D
>>> dqEaqZ_qgihNd8wV-Nb4yfRy2XIMtSrFC_G9CbVWKe-Q/http%3A%2F%