[Lingtyp] terminology

Johann-Mattis List mattis.list at lingulist.de
Thu Jul 26 09:52:45 UTC 2018

I may annoy people getting back to my claim that we need to work on
descriptive terminology, but I feel that this is essential, especially
given the previous emails by Daniel, Paolo, and Hartmut. As languages
are often very different and we have problems in establishing
comparability across them, we tend to lead many discussions about the
"true" phenomena we are searching for, which often leads to discussions
of whether a certain category (like, e.g., the "mirativity" in some TB
languages) exists at all. If we manage to find some good comparative
concepts along with consistent terminology of a descriptive nature to
which we could then link and analyze the phenomena in the individual
languages, without having to come up with a complete understanding of
the situation first.

Take again "colexification" (whether you like co-terms or not): People
may argue that the phenomenon of one lexeme having multiple meanings
comes from essentially ONLY two processes: phonemic merger and semantic
change. Then people might ask what happens with borrowings that may
introduce new "homophones" (but also polysemy, like "Maus" in German
denoting also the computer mouse), and we'd have problems in assigning
them to one of the two acknowledged phenomena. We could have a new
debate on the terminology, adding new explanative terms, but it might be
more efficient to study the phenomenon of "colexification" beforehand
and link all these explanative terms to it.

I may sound simple-minded, but it would be so much easier to have
descriptive terms for well-acknowledged phenomena being mentioned along
with all explanative discussions around the details. However, I have the
impression that most of our discussion is only about the details,
ignoring what could be easily even called an easy-to-describe "fact".

There's a common practice in programming and mathematics to collect
"problems" in the field. E.g., problems of graph theory, problems of
algebra, etc. People know that these may be extremely hard to resolve,
maybe even impossible, but they agree on the nature of the problem, and
then try to build up solutions for them, which also produce new
terminology, etc. In linguistics, I have the impression that we often
feel so overwhelmed by the feeling of how impossible it is to fully
describe something in explanatory terms, that we forget to even state
what the problem is, that we even forget to *describe* what we want to
explain. We can definitely learn from our colleagues in other branches
of science here in being a bit more pragmatic, less obsessed with the
detail (at least at first), but also more systematic in applying our
methods and techniques.