[Lingtyp] Metaphors linguists live by?

Joo Ian ian.joo at outlook.com
Thu Jul 26 13:07:32 UTC 2018

Dear all,

I would like to know if there is any work on the metaphors used by linguists.
For example, generative linguists use dynamic metaphors in their theory, such as "move", "merge", "bind", "command", or "govern".
On the other hand, cognitive linguists tend to use visual metaphors for their theory, such as "image schema" or "frame".
Phonologists use metaphors too, such as "lenition/fortition" (as though certain phonemes had "power" over others).
In fact, the concept of "metaphor" used in the metaphor theory is itself a metaphor, I would argue.
Are there any previous works that deal with metaphors used in linguistic theories? I would appreciate if anyone would share their experience on such works.

>From Hong Kong,
Ian Joo
http://ianjoo.academia.edu