[Lingtyp] Does bipolar polysemy exist?

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Fri Jun 1 08:55:11 UTC 2018

Interesting.  This use of a verb (prototypically but not exclusively
"know") with a negative meaning (when prototypically but not exclusively
associated with a specific intonation contour) seems, from the preceding
discussion, to be a Southeast Asian (mainland plus island) areal
phenomenon, occurring in Lao, Indonesian, Tukang Besi and Tagalog.

Though an alternative hypothesis would be that it was merely a group of
Southeast Asianists who were first to comment on this phenomenon in this
thread, and that it is actually more widespread ...

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de