[Lingtyp] Does bipolar polysemy exist?

Dmitry Nikolaev dsnikolaev at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 19:11:23 UTC 2018

Dear Mattis,

a small correction:

> Furthermore, it is not that trivial as the google-people suggest: they
> use extremely large training corpora for automatic translation which is
> based on stochastic (albeit apparently simple) grammars. A human,
> however, acquires a language with much LESS training material and a
> smaller brain. This questions cannot be solved if we rely on google or
> the engineering part of "computer science".

The biggest announced neural networks seem to have on the order of 1 to 2
hundred billion parameters (weights of connections between neurons). Human
brain has ~100 billion neurons and on the order of 100 trillion connections
/ learnable parameters. Huge NLP endeavours probably match and surpass the
amount of input humans receive when acquiring a language, but
computationally human brain is not small, it is in another universe.

With kind regards,
Dmitry