[Lingtyp] Corpus studies of relativization

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Mon Jun 4 09:44:31 UTC 2018

There have been corpus studies of relativization in Jakarta Indonesian
making use of the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology
Jakarta Field Station corpus.  A link to one reference is provided
below.  (There may be other references, but I'm currently with a bad
internet connection and am unable to search.)

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/244160645_The_Formation_of_Relative_Clauses_in_Jakarta_Indonesian_Data_From_Adults_and_Children

On 04/06/2018 10:58, Johanna NICHOLS wrote:
> We are looking for corpus studies of relativization in adult speech
> that report frequencies of relativization on different arguments.
> There seem to have been few since Fox 1987, most on English (some
> references below).  Can anyone refer us to other work?  Especially
> needed are languages with gap strategies and languages with
> ergativity, but all references appreciated.  We'll summarize.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Johanna Nichols
> for the Language Convergence Laboratory, Higher School of Economics,
> Moscow

> Fox, Barbara.  1987.  The noun phrase accessibility hierarchy
> reinterpreted: Subject primary or the absolutive hypothesis?  Language
> 63:4.856-870.
> Fox, Barbara, and Sandra A. Thompson.  1990.  A discourse explanation
> of the grammar of relative clauses in English conversation. /Language/
> 66:2.297-316.
> Haspelmath, Martin.  1994.  Passive participles across languages.
> Barbara A. Fox and Paul J. Hopper, eds., Voice: Form and function,
> 151-178.  Amsterdam: Benjamins.
> Heider, Paul M., Jeruen E. Dery, and Douglas Roland. 2014.  The
> processing of /it/ object relative clauses: Evidence against a
> fine-grained frequency account. /Journal of Memory and Language/ 75.58-76.
> Mak, Willem M., Wietske Vonk, and Herbert Schriefers. 2002.  The
> influence of animacy on relative clause processing. /Journal of Memory
> and Language/ 47:50-68.
> Reali, Florencia, and Morten H. Christensen.  2007. Processing of
> relative clauses is made easier by frequency of occurrence. /Journal
> of Memory and Language /57:1.1-23.
> Roland, Douglas, Frederic Dick, and Jeffrey L. Elman. 2007.  Frequency
> of basic English grammtical structures: A corpus analysis. /Journal of
> Memory and Language/ 57:3.348-379.

David Gil

Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10, 07745 Jena, Germany

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de
Office Phone (Germany): +49-3641686834
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-81281162816