[Lingtyp] Question about helpful design of a comparative, multilectal grammar

Sebastian Nordhoff sebastian.nordhoff at glottotopia.de
Mon Jun 18 07:03:06 UTC 2018

Dear Rasmus,
this is a very interesting topic. The most important principle to follow
would be, in my view, the separation of content and presentation.

This means that your text should code which passages refer to Ikoma,
Nata, Isenye, Ngoreme, respectively, but it should NOT say how this is
to be represented visually.

This will allow you to adapt the presentation of your content for
different audiences later on.  Depending on the audience, you could opt
for color coding, borders, fonts for the different varieties, or no
visual distinction at all.

This kind of semantic coding is the standard way of doing things in
HTML+CSS or LaTeX, but you can also use MS Word styles to achieve this.

One fundamental question would be whether the outcomes of this project
are to be represented in book form (linear representation), or whether a
non-linear approach (think Wikipedia) might be more useful. There are
arguments for both approaches.

In addition to the 2012 book which Peter Austin mentioned, you might
find the following article interesting:
Nordhoff, Sebastian. 2008. Electronic reference grammars for typology:
Challenges and solutions. Language Documentation & Conservation
2(2):296–324.
https://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu/handle/10125/4352?mode=full

Best wishes
Sebastian