[Lingtyp] Verbal person-number indexing reconstructed for a family/deeper subfamily?

Ana Krajinovic krajinoa at hu-berlin.de
Wed Jun 20 11:43:32 UTC 2018

Dear Ilja,

There has been some work on reconstruction of subject markers in Oceanic
languages (Austronesian), for example in Lynch et al. below. It is also
very common for the subject markers to form portmanteau morphemes that
contain TMA values, see Ross and Lithgow below. At the moment there is
some work on reconstruction of subject markers in Western Oceanic by a
PhD student Carlo Dalle Ceste at ANU (Canberra), and we are
collaborating on understanding how portmanteau subject/TMA markers
emerge in diachrony.

Lynch, John, Malcom Ross & Terry Crowley. 2002/2011. The Oceanic
languages. London: Routledge.

Ross, Malcolm & D.R. Lithgow. 1989. The prehistory of some Western
Oceanic tense/mood markers: insights from natural morphosyntax.
Unpublished Ms. (available on academia.edu)

All the best with your research,

Ana