[Lingtyp] typological studies of pro-drop

Anders Holmberg anders.holmberg at newcastle.ac.uk
Mon Mar 5 09:58:55 UTC 2018

Hello Maia,

You may want to look at my discussion of Dryer's pro-drop data in WALS. in

Holmberg, A. 2017. Linguistic Typology. In I. Roberts (ed.) Oxford Handbook of Universal Grammar. OUP. Also on Lingbuzz, ling.auf.net/lingbuzz

Valuable though they are, Dryer's data should be used with caution. The problem is, as Martin indicates, that there are different types of pro-drop, and it isn't always easy to tell from a superficial look what type it is.

 An old investigation, based on data from 100 or so languages, is

Gilligan, Gary. 1987. A cross-linguistic approach to the pro-drop parameter. PhD dissertation, University of Southern California.

This was long before we were aware of the variety of pro-drop grammars.

   Have you seen this work on creole languages?

Nicolis, M. 2008. The null subject parameter and correlating properties: the case of creole languages. In Biberauer, T. (ed.) The limits of syntactic variation, 271-94. John Benjamins.

Anders

Prof. Anders Holmberg
School of English Literature, Language, and Linguistics
Newcastle University
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU
UK