[Lingtyp] typological studies of "pro-drop"

Geoffrey Haig geoffrey.haig at uni-bamberg.de
Tue Mar 6 13:02:13 UTC 2018

Dear All,

it's also worth looking at the corpus-based approaches to referential
null subjects.

Enclosed is the result of a cross-corpus investigation into rates of
null subjects, based on spontaneous spoken language from seven languages.
Note that for the analysis, null subjects are only counted in positions
where an overt argument could theoretically have occurred.

The data are taken from the from the freely-accessible Multi-CAST
archive (the analysis attached is part of a users' guide-document that
we are currently compiling). The corpus is:
Haig, Geoffrey & Schnell, Stefan (eds.)/. /2018[2015]. /Multi-CAST:
Multilingual Corpus of Annotated Spoken Texts/.
(https://lac.uni-koeln.de/en/multicast/) (Accessed 2018-03-06.)

The corpus data won't (at least immediately) yield much for the
fine-grained typology that Anders Holmberg and others have proposed, but
I share Matthew Dryer's reservations with regard to the possibility of
reliably extracting the necessary information on them from descriptive
grammars. This is a matter of natural discourse, which is beyond the
purview of many descriptive grammars).

What the atached corpus-based approach, even at this very coarse and
provisional level,  already suggests is (a) languages vary significantly
in this respect (no big surprise), (b) they vary internally; (c) they
don't seem to fall into obviously identifiable 'types'.

Some other relevant literature:
The most detailed studies I am aware of on this is the work on Spanish,
done from a variationist sociolinguistic perspective, cf. the papers in:

Carvalho, Ana M., Rafael Orozco, Naomi Lapidus Shin (eds.). 2015.
*Subject Pronoun Expression in Spanish: A Cross-Dialectal Perspective*.
Georgetown: Georgetown University Press.

While not typological in the narrow sense of the word, this work is
methodologically interesting and also addresses an issue that we
typologists tend to avoid, namely language-internal variation across
typological parameters.

Finally, I can definitely recommend anyone interested in this subject to
take a careful look at Huang, Yan. 2000. Anaphora. A cross-linguistic
study. OUP, before embarking on typological work on pro-drop.

best
Geoff