[Lingtyp] Narrative relative clauses

Giacalone Ramat Anna anna.giacalone at unipv.it
Wed May 9 14:38:14 UTC 2018

Dear Juergen,
in my paper "Persistence and renewal in the relative pronoun paradigm: the
case of Italian", Folia Linguistica Historica 26, 2005, 115-138, I discuss
narrative relative clauses and their function in Old Italian. I suggest
that the emergence and diffusion of relative pronoun *il quale* in Old
Italian was modeled  on the Latin "connecting relative" (Rosén) or
relativischer Anschluss (Lehmann) . It was used as a device to enhance text
cohesion..
Best
Anna

Anna Giacalone Ramat
Professor Emerita of Linguistics
The University of Pavia
Academia Europaea
Honorary Member of the Societas Linguistica Europaea

Dipartimento di Studi Umanistici
Strada Nuova 65
I-27100-Pavia
tel. +39 0382 984486