[Lingtyp] Does bipolar polysemy exist?

Stela Manova stela.manova at univie.ac.at
Thu May 31 14:52:23 UTC 2018

In support of Volker Gast’s thoughts, I would like to approach the problem from a mathematical / computer science point of view, which allows for a clear generalization.

Words, like numbers, are sequence of elements, i.e. think of the word ‘human’ as similar to the number, let me say, 124.  In mathematics, a way to make 124 the opposite is through adding minus before it, thus -124. The same strategy exists in linguistics and it is called negation, in our case ‘non-human’. Alternative ways to change the meaning of a sequence of elements in mathematics and in linguistics are: 1) modifying the sequence, e.g. 224 instead of 124 and ’numan' instead of ‘human'; and 2) combining that sequence with other elements, i.e. putting a form into context in linguistics. However, in mathematics / computer science, in isolation, a sequence of elements always has a single meaning because if it has not, no computation is possible.  I think that the same logic applies to linguistics, i.e. it is impossible to have a form (lexeme) in isolation associated with two opposite meanings.

Best,

Stela

---
Dr. Stela MANOVA
Middle European Interdisciplinary Master Program in Cognitive Science
Department of Philosophy
University of Vienna
Universitätsstraße 7
A-1010 Vienna