[Lingtyp] Does bipolar polysemy exist?

Joseph Brooks josephdbrooks at umail.ucsb.edu
Thu May 31 20:39:04 UTC 2018

This does not really answer your question about lexemes per se but seems
pretty relevant. In Chini (Ramu, Papuan) the irrealis form of any given
verb (where the minimal morphological form is more or less : root-REALIS or
root-IRREALIS) is generally interpreted in terms of positive polarity, eg
mbru-i 'will cut, used to cut etc' but under certain pragmatic
circumstances, the same verb form (and no difference otherwise in the
clause) can have a negative interpretation, specifically to express either
a frustrated realization or a counter-to-normative-expectation type of
thing.
cheers
Joseph