[Lingtyp] Does bipolar polysemy exist?

Nick Enfield nick.enfield at sydney.edu.au
Thu May 31 23:42:17 UTC 2018

In Lao:

  1.  The verb cak2 means ‘know’, and can be negated as in man2 bòò1 cak2 [3sg neg know] ‘S/he doesn’t know.’ But when used alone, with no subject expressed, often with the perfect marker (as in cak2 or cak2 lèèw4) it means “I don’t know.”
  2.  The verb faaw4 means ‘to hurry, rush’, and can be negated as in man2 bòò1 faaw4 [3sg neg rush] ‘S/he doesn’t hurry/isn’t hurrying.’ But when used alone as an imperative, with no subject expressed, often repeated, or with an appropriate sentence-final particle (as in faaw4 faaw4 or faaw4 dee4) it means “Don’t hurry, Stop hurrying, Slow down”.
  3.  Often, both positive and negative readings of verbs are available when the irrealis prefix si is used (with context or perhaps intonation doing the work); eg khaw3 si kin3 [3pl irr eat] could mean ‘They will eat it’ or ‘They will definitely not eat it’ with a meaning similar to the colloquial English expression “As if they would eat it.” The second meaning is made more likely by insertion of the directional paj3 ‘go’ before the verb (khaw3 si paj3 kin3 [3pl irr go eat] ‘As if they would eat it.’).

Nick

N. J. ENFIELD | FAHA FRSN | Professor of Linguistics
Head, Post Truth Initiative https://posttruthinitiative.org/
Director, SSSHARC (Sydney Social Sciences and Humanities Advanced Research Centre)
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Rm N364, John Woolley Building A20 | NSW | 2006 | AUSTRALIA
T +61 2 9351 2391 | M +61 476 239 669
orcid.org/0000-0003-3891-6973<javascript:irmaDisplayUrl(%22http://orcid.org/0000-0003-3891-6973%22)>
E nick.enfield at sydney.edu.au<mailto:nick.enfield at sydney.edu.au> | W sydney.edu.au<http://sydney.edu.au/> nickenfield.org<http://www.nickenfield.org/>