[Lingtyp] animacy hierarchy: exceptions based on shape

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 12:19:01 UTC 2018

*Sumerian* distinguishes between human and non-human, also called
"Personenklasse" and "Sachklasse" in German-language literature. Pronouns,
question words, possessive agreement depending on the possessee's class,
and also certain case clitics depend on the noun class. Apart from human
beings and gods, the human class also sometimes includes statues (e.g. both
*alan=ani* ‘statue=POSS.3SG.H’ as well as *alan=bi* ‘statue=POSS.3SG.NH’,
both meaning ‘his statue’ can be found in texts), while the words *saĝ*
‘slave’ (lit. ‘head’) and *géme* ‘slave woman’ can also be treated as
non-human (cf. Jagersma 2010:103, Foxvog 2016:22).
But the association of statues with the human class might not be simply due
to shape, but due to them representing actual humans or gods, or simply out
of respect, I imagine. Just like we can refer to a statue as a "he" or
"she" in *English* and many other European languages (but then we would
probably also refer to it by the name, e.g. Leibniz).

Similar with anthropomorph robots (androids) and robots in general if
they're seen as persons instead of machines (ample examples from
science-fiction where people switch from "it" to "he" or "she" upon
realizing that the robot/android/cyborg is actually equal to a human and a
proper individual, I could name at least three *Star Trek: TNG* episodes
here). Even with figurines, plushies and dolls, we would often use a
gendered pronoun if the gender is clear. This is not primarly due to their
shape, I'd argue. An old volleyball with a face painted on it, can become a
"he" if treated as a(n imaginary) friend (cf. *Cast Away*, 2010).

It is difficult to think of an example, where shape is disassociated from
the representation of an object, e.g. a human-shaped ginseng root, a
starfish? Not sure...

*Sources:*
Foxvog, Daniel A. 2016. *Introduction to Sumerian Grammar.* Online
document, UCLA. (https://cdli.ucla.edu/pubs/cdlp/cdlp0002_20160104.pdf)
Jagersma, Abraham Hendrik. 2010. *A Descriptive Grammar of Sumerian.*
Doctoral thesis, Leiden: Leiden University. (
https://openaccess.leidenuniv.nl/handle/1887/16107)

— André Müller
PhD Student
Department of Comparative Linuguistics