[Lingtyp] animacy hierarchy: exceptions based on shape

Watanabe, Kazuha kwatanabe at fullerton.edu
Tue Nov 27 16:53:09 UTC 2018

Dear David and Tasaku,

  I am also a native speaker of Japanese, and agree with Tasaku's intuition for most of the part.  However, I can totally imagine myself uttering sentence such as "Look! There is Micky Mouse" using i-ru ("mikki: mausu-ga i-ru!") when I found a tree that cut into the shape of Micky Mouse.  I would not say "mikki: mausu-ga a-ru!" in this context.  I would consider this Micky Mouse-shaped tree "human-like statue".

  I would love to hear if Tasaku shares similar intuition as mine.

Best,

Kazuha Watanabe
Associate Professor
Department of Modern Languages and Literatures
California State University, Fullerton