[Lingtyp] Functional discord?

Moshe Taube Moshe.Taube at mail.huji.ac.il
Tue Nov 27 17:46:31 UTC 2018

Beside hitputar 'was made to resign', we also have hitnudav 'was made to
volunteer'.

Moshe

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 7:41 PM David Gil <gil at shh.mpg.de> wrote:

> Hebrew has something very close to the kind of morphological discord
> you're looking for.  First, some background ...
>
> Hebrew verbal morphology makes use of so-called binyanim,
> mostly-derivational morphological paradigms that express categories of
> voice, aksionsart and others.  Hebrew has 7 such binyanim.  Of these 7, 4
> form two pairs productively related to each other as active and passive,
> where the passive is characterized by, among others, the presence of a
> "-u-a-" vocalic pattern.  For example, the root k-t-b 'write' forms the
> basis for among others (the cited forms are all past 3rd person singular
> feminine):
>
> (1) kitev 'address' (act) ~ kutav 'address' (pass)
>
> (2) hixtiv 'dictate' (act) ~ huxtav 'dictate' (pass)
>
> A 5th binyan expresses various medial categories such as, among others,
> reflexive, or in the case of k-t-b, reciprocal
>
> (3) hitkatev 'write to each other'
>
> Now consider the root p-t-r, which, among other things, means 'fire' (as
> in 'force a subordinate to stop working for one').  Exhibiting the same
> binyan as in (1) we have
>
> (4) piter 'fire' (act) ~ putar 'fire (pass)
>
> And exhibiting the same binyan as in (3), this time with a
> medial/reflexive meaning, we have
>
> (5) hitpater 'resign'
>
> So much for the background, now for the fun bit.  For this specific root,
> and for one particular context, Hebrew recently innovated, in what seems to
> be a playful, almost jocular manner, an 8th binyan, derived by blending the
> medial binyan in (5) with the passive binyan in (4):
>
> (6) hitputar
>
> The meaning too is a blend of medial and passive, applied to those not
> uncommon situations in which politicians are forced to submit their
> resignation: officially, the politicians are resigning of their own free
> will, but in practice they are being fired.
>
> To the extent that this innovative binyan constitutes a blend of two
> pre-existing binyanim, this would seem to constitute an instance of
> morphological discord, in that the first part of the word comes from the
> medial binyan while the second part comes from the passive binyan.
>
> As far as I know, this innovated binyan applies just to the single root
> p-t-r, though I wouldn't be surprised if it extends, or perhaps already has
> extended, to other roots.
>
> On 27/11/2018 09:15, Jeff Siegel wrote:
>
> Dear colleagues,
>

> People sometimes use morphological discord for joking or stylistic effect
> – e.g. “Let’s went” (popularised by Poncho in the 1950s TV series *The
> Cisco Kid*) and this heading on an internet discussion list: “3D TV, I
> has one…I likes it” (perhaps derived from the speech of Gollum/Sméagol in *Lord
> of the Rings*).
>

> I’m interested in whether such morphological discord can be
> conventionalised in a language with a particular meaning or function.
>

> What led me to this interest is a structure in Nama, a Papuan language of
> [...]

Professor Moshe Taube (Emeritus)
Tamara and Saveli Grinberg Chair in Russian Studies
Department of Linguistics / Department of Russian
and East-European Studies
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Mt. Scopus 91905 Israel