[Lingtyp] Universal trend: biclausal -> monoclausal?

Mark Post mark.post at sydney.edu.au
Thu Nov 29 00:35:39 UTC 2018

Hi Adam,

In Assamese (and in a number of other Indo-Aryan languages), the final/inflected ("matrix") verb in a clause chain can indeed develop aux-like functional values which are in many ways similar to those found in serial verb constructions (so, for example, be > STAT; stay > DUR; go/come > DIR; see > TENT(ative), etc.). And while clause chains that end in such verbs tend to be more tightly-integrated even than co-subordinate constructions tend to be more generally (so, for example, they would share the object of the chain-medial, more "lexical" verb in addition to the usual subject and TAM-sharing), they don't in general seem to become "monoclausal", in the strict sense that dependent marking on the chain-medial verb is no longer functional. I had at one point hoped to adopt an assumption similar to your bolded assumption below, and wrote a couple of papers on the topic once which basically leaned toward such an analysis of Assamese. But my tendency now would be to simply look at these as particular constructions within a cline of clause-integration (in a sense in which "mono/bi-clausality" is defined in terms of its symptoms rather than in terms of an underlying abstraction).

https://www.academia.edu/197270/Assamese_verb_serialization_in_functional_areal-typological_and_diachronic_perspective

https://www.academia.edu/197267/Grammaticalization_and_the_discourse_distribution_of_serial_verbs_in_Assamese

cheers
Mark