[Lingtyp] Universal trend: biclausal -> monoclausal?

Jorge Rosés Labrada jrosesla at ualberta.ca
Fri Nov 30 15:07:03 UTC 2018

Dear Martin,

Regarding your negability test, I am a non-native speaker of English so
take this with a grain of salt but your “I want[/would like] to not make
[any] mistake[s]” doesn’t sound so bad to me (perhaps with some emphatic
intonation on the negator).

And a collocation with a modal “could” and two negators (e.g. “I could not
not come”) is totally possible for me (with some emphatic intonation on the
second negator). It seems like at least in the COCA corpus, this is
attested (n=10):

Best,
Jorge
-------------
Jorge Emilio Rosés Labrada
Assistant Professor, Indigenous Language Sustainability
Department of Linguistics
University of Alberta
Tel: (+1) 780-492-5698 <(+1)%20780-492-5698>
jrosesla at ualberta.ca

*The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6
territory, **and respects the history, languages, and cultures of the First
Nations, Métis, Inuit, **and all First Peoples of Canada, whose presence
continues to enrich our institution.*

On Nov 30, 2018, at 5:01 AM, Martin Haspelmath <haspelmath at shh.mpg.de>