[Lingtyp] Temporal features?

Hartmut Haberland hartmut at ruc.dk
Mon Oct 1 10:05:02 UTC 2018

Hi Randy,
Karen Ebert (who sadly died a while ago) told me once that when she studied in Kiel, she met a friend from her North Frisian home island of Föhr, and they used to speak their native language (Fering). Except when giving each other directions or describing their own movements. On their island, every place was either ‘up’ or ‘down’ or ‘over’ in relationship to every other place, and with movement verbs, the direction (‘up’ or ‘down’ or ‘over’) was coded obligatorily. Outside of Föhr the system simply broke down.
I have been told that in Florutz German (spoken in an Alpine valley) you have to put the potatoes that you have peeled down or up into the dish depending on whether the dish is between you and the stream in the middle of the valley (‘down’) or you are between the stream and the dish (‘up’). That might be a myth, but it is a nice story. Hartmut

PS Has nobody ever had problems with their eye doctor when he talks about your right eye which you consider being your left eye?

Hartmut Haberland
Professor emeritus
[RUC]

Roskilde University