[Lingtyp] Manner deictics in quotative constructions

Denys T. denys.teptiuk at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 13:58:39 UTC 2018

Dear all,

I am working on the article on the use of manner deictics (MDs) in quotative constructions in 5 Finno-Ugric languages, i.e. Finnic (on the basis of Finnish and Estonian), Permic (Komi and Udmurt) and Hungarian. So far, my results show that MDs show several tendencies in quotative constructions:

(i) used (predominantly, if not exclusively) cataphorically (Fin. sillee(n) ‘like that, thus’, Est. nii (et) ‘so (that)’);
(ii) used both cataphorically and anaphorically (Komi tadž(i) ‘like this, so’, sidž ‘like that, thus’; also Fr. ainsi, Ger. so);
(iii) a pair of proximal and distal MDs are distributed according to reference (also outside the quotative domain) (Udmurt): proximal points at new information and is used as a cataphoric marker; distal refers to already known info and is used predominantly as an anaphoric marker;
(iv) a pair of proximal and distal MDs are distributed according to functions outside the quotative domain and types of RD (Hungarian): proximal — as a mimetic marker with direct reported discourse (alias quotes, reports) only; distal — depicts (but not demonstrates(!)) the content of both direct and indirect reported discourse.

Since the MDs are, if not universal, then at least quite frequent elements in quotative constructions of the world’s languages, I would like to ask you whether you notice any of the above tendencies in the quotative use of MDs in the languages you work with, if they appear in such constructions, especially such as (i), (iii) and (iv)?
The following questions are of particular interest for me:
1. Do MDs show any preference to one position in quotative constructions vis-à-vis the quote (pre-, post- or intraposed)?
2. Does their use in quotative constructions anyhow correlate with their use outside the quotative domain (e.g. in mimetic constructions of the type I do it so/thus/like this: {demonstration}; special referential functions depending on the type of info (new/known), etc.)?
3. Do MDs fulfill any extra functions (e.g. point to the verbatim rendering of the quote, present it as reproduced approximately, etc.) in quotative constructions?

I would be more than grateful for some examples from any languages either to this query in the list or directly to my e-mail.
Any other suggestions or comments are more than welcome!

Have a nice afternoon!

Best wishes from Tartu,
Denys Teptiuk