[Lingtyp] Temporal features?

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Mon Oct 1 15:38:31 UTC 2018

Joseph (and all),

On 01/10/2018 22:22, Joseph Brooks wrote:
> Seconding Johanna Nichols' questions and adding :
>
> how is "greater socio-political complexity" determined? and who
> exactly is in a position to determine that? If my guess is correct, we
> are assuming larger industrial and/or hierarchical societies are more
> complex socio-politically, which seems pretty problematic (at least to
> me).
> Joseph
Until recently I have been working with the following 4-valued scale of
socio-political complexity:

national language >
local variety of national langauge >
local language historically part of larger polity >
local language only recently part of larger polity

It would seem to me that this is relatively straightforward.  In work in
progress I am developing a more refined scale incorporating date from
the D-Place database (https://d-place.org/home), specifically the number
of levels in what they refer to as the "jurisdictional hierarchy beyond
local community".  Again, I don't really see any problems with this.

David

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10, 07745 Jena, Germany

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de
Office Phone (Germany): +49-3641686834
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-81281162816