[Lingtyp] Temporal features?

Jan Rijkhoff linjr at cc.au.dk
Tue Oct 2 15:04:45 UTC 2018

Perkins (1992)  investigated deictic distinctions in a sample of 49 languages taken from different linguistic families and spoken in cultures of varying complexity (ranked on a scale of 5). The main hypothesis (which was generally confirmed in this study) is “that the number of grammaticized deictic distinctions (those likely to be coded by affixes and in closed grammatical classes such as personal pronouns) depend on the complexity of the culture where the language is spoken” (p. 7).

Revere D. Perkins. 1992. Deixis, grammar, and culture (Typological Studies in Language 24). Amsterdam: Benjamins.

Jan Rijkhoff
--
J. Rijkhoff - Associate Professor
Linguistics, Aarhus University