[Lingtyp] Temporal features?

Jan Rijkhoff linjr at cc.au.dk
Wed Oct 3 08:35:44 UTC 2018

Eckehard,

I lent my copy of Perkins’ book to a student and never got it back - so I cannot check the original text at the moment. I would say his overall conclusion was that complex cultures make fewer distinctions in the deictic domain than less complex cultures. Perkins also found, for example, a positive correlation between cultural complexity and the number of relativizable positions.

I seem to remember the book was considered to be politically incorrect at the time. My review of the book can be found in Sprachtypologie und Universalienforschung (1994), vol. 47-3.

Rijkhoff, Jan. 1994. Review of Revere D. Perkins (1992), Deixis, Grammar, and Culture (Typological Studies in Language 24), Amsterdam: Benjamins. Sprachtypologie und Universalienforschung (STUF) 47-3, 230-233.

Jan R
--
J. Rijkhoff - Associate Professor
Linguistics, Aarhus University