[Lingtyp] Temporal features? - Space systems

Alex Francois francois at vjf.cnrs.fr
Thu Oct 4 16:41:05 UTC 2018

dear colleagues,

For those interested in the discussion of absolute space systems:

Françoise Ozanne-Rivierre wrote a nice comparison of spatial orientation in
Bali with a number of Oceanic languages, especially from New Caledonia:

   - Ozanne-Rivierre, Françoise. 1997. Spatial references in New Caledonian
   languages. In Gunter Senft (ed.), *Referring to space. Studies in
   Austronesian and Papuan languages *84-100. Oxford: Oxford University
   Press.
   - ——  1999. Spatial Orientation in some Austronesian Languages. In
   Catherine Fuchs & Stéphane Robert (eds.), *Language Diversity and
   Cognitive Representations*, 73-84. Amsterdam/Philadephia: John Benjamins.

Her publications inspired me in my own research on geocentric directionals
in Oceanic languages:

   - François, Alexandre. 2003. Of men, hills and winds: Space directionals
   in Mwotlap
   <https://www.academia.edu/1330234/Of_men_hills_and_winds_Space_directionals_in_Mwotlap>.

   *Oceanic Linguistics* 42 (2): 407-437. Dec 2003.
   - ——  2004. Reconstructing the geocentric system of Proto Oceanic
   <http://alex.francois.online.fr/data/AlexFrancois_GeocentricPOC_OL2004.pdf>.

   *Oceanic Linguistics* 43 (1), 1-32. June 2004.
   - ——  2015. The ins and outs of *up* and *down*: Disentangling the nine
   geocentric space systems of Torres and Banks languages
   <http://alex.francois.online.fr/data/AlexFrancois_2015_North-Vanuatu-space-directionals.pdf>
   .
   In *The Languages of Vanuatu: Unity and Diversity*, ed. by A. François,
   S. Lacrampe, M. Franjieh & S. Schnell.
   Studies in the Languages of Island Melanesia, 5. Canberra: Asia Pacific
   Linguistics Open Access. 137–195.

As already mentioned in this thread, Oceanic languages mostly resort to
absolute space reference for all scales, including for locating objects on
a table. I've hardly ever heard egocentric strategies ('left'/'right', 'in
front'/'behind') used in Vanuatu, at least in the islands where I did
fieldwork. Even Port-Vila, a medium-sized city, was a place where speakers
from rural areas are able to adapt their own geocentric system and map it
into the city landscape.

Oceanic space systems are generally based on two axes:

(1) one cardinal axis used on the horizontal plane, yet lexified
'up'–'down';
    'up' points southeast and 'down' northwest — originally, from
'up[wind]' vs. 'down[wind]';
(2) one topographic axis contrasting inland vs. seawards.  The topographic
axis is sometimes lexified 'up'–'down' (as noted by Mike), but in quite a
few languages those 2 terms are already preempted by the cardinal axis on
the horizontal plane, so other lexical strategies are used instead (e.g.
'in'–'out', 'bush'–'ocean'…).

Even though all Oceanic languages work essentially along the same lines,
there is quite a lot of variation when it comes to detail — variation at
the scale of the whole Oceanic family (Senft ed. 1997, Palmer 2002,
François 2004) or even at the scale of the small group of islands in
northern Vanuatu, with as many as nine different systems for 17
languages (François 2015: 151).  The situation is even more complex on
atolls — as has been shown by Bill and his colleagues. (refs below)

It is common to encounter the sort of axis rotation mentioned by Peter for
Sasak:  the cardinal axis is routinely twisted up to 90° so as to remain
parallel to the shoreline – i.e. orthogonal to the land–sea axis. This can
make the systems confusing in some locations, for the linguist but
sometimes even for the speakers themselves:  I've often heard speakers
hesitate, or negociate with each other, how to name a particular direction
(up? down? in?), either because the setting was unfamiliar, or because one
of the participants was still learning the intricacies of the system.  The
potential complexity probably explains the variability of these systems
over time, and also their fragility when confronted with totally unfamiliar
places such as modern cities.  It does make sense — as proposed by Jürgen —
to imagine that the prevalence of geocentric vs. egocentric spatial
strategies may have evolved along human history.

Some further references:

   - Hyslop, Catriona. 2002. Hiding behind trees on Ambae: Spatial
   reference in an Oceanic language of Vanuatu. *In G. Bennardo
   (ed.), Representing space in Oceania: Culture in language and mind*,
   47-76.
   - Palmer, Bill. 2002. Absolute spatial reference and the
   grammaticalisation of perceptually salient phenomena. In G.
Bennardo (ed.), *Representing
   space in Oceania: culture in language and mind*. Canberra: Pacific
   Linguistics.
   - Palmer, Bill. 2007. Pointing at the lagoon: directional terms in
   Oceanic atoll-based languages. In J. Siegel, J. Lynch, & D. Eades
(eds.), *Language
   description, history and development*. London: Benjamins.
   - Palmer, B., Lum, J., Schlossberg, J., & Gaby, A. 2017. How does the
   environment shape spatial language? Evidence for sociotopography.*
   Linguistic Typology*, 21(3), 457-491.

best,
Alex
------------------------------