[Lingtyp] "I hide my stone in my house"

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Sat Oct 13 11:47:34 UTC 2018

So it seems that there is an implicational scale of verb types:

go/send > put > hide/bury > remain

The higher a verb is on the scale, the more likely it is for a language
to use allative marking, and the lower it is, the more likely it is that
a language uses locative marking.

Finnish and Estonian use allative all the way down this scale (but they
have a locative marker for 'be'), and some languages may use allative
for 'hide/bury' (maybe even German, though I find such examples barely
acceptable). Other languages have variation for 'put' (including
English, but not German), and still other languages have variation even
for 'go/send' (not English).

Zaika's (2016) paper is indeed very relevant – thanks for sharing it.
Someone should study this pattern for more languages.

Best,
Martin

P.S. For "allative/locative", different term pairs have been used in
this discussion: "lative/essive" (Uralic/Caucasian tradition),
"directive/locative" (Zaika), "dynamic goal/static location". I think
all these mean the same (though I understand why Uralicists prefer
"lative" and don't want to rename their "allative" to "ad-allative").

On 11.10.18 23:20, Jane Simpson wrote:
> Some Australian languages show this distinction between location of
> object, event and subject, which Ken Hale drew attention to.  Patrick
> McConvell and I discuss this with comparisons with Finnish:
>
> McConvell, Patrick, and Simpson, Jane. 2012. Fictive motion down
> under:The locative-allative case alternation in some Australian
> Indigenous languages. In /Shall we play the Festschrift game? Essays
> on the occasion of Lauri Carlson's 60th birthday/, eds. Diana Santos,
> Wanjiku N'gang'a and Krister Lindén, 159-180. Heidelberg: Springer.
>

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 10:01 PM Joo Ian <ian.joo at outlook.com
> <mailto:ian.joo at outlook.com>> wrote:
>
>     Dear all,
>
>     I am interested in the following hypothesis:
>
>     In most of the world's languages, the PP "in my house" in sentence
>     (1) and (2) are the same.
>
>     (1) My stone is in my house.
>     (2) I hide my stone in my house.
>
>     For example, in German:
>
>     (1) Mein Stein ist "in meinem Haus".
>     (2) Ich verstecke meinen Stein "in meinem Haus".
>
>     Although there are few languages where the PP of (1) and (2) are
>     not identical, such as Finnish:
>
>     (1) Kiveni on "talossani". (Locative)
>     (2) Piilotan kiveni "talooni". (Illative)
>
>     But cases like Finnish are far fewer than English-like cases, I think.
>
>     I think this is interesting because the PP of (1) and that of (2)
>     are semantically different: the PP in (1) is a location whereas
>     that in PP is the endpoint of a placement event. If I can show
>     that the two PPs are morphologically identical in most of the
>     world's languages, then I can suggest that placement event
>     profiles a static location as its endpoint and not a dynamic goal,
>     like Rohde has argued in her dissertation
>     (https://scholarship.rice.edu/handle/1911/18015)
>
>     Although I find this issue interesting, I would like to know if
>     others find it so as well. What do you think? (Also, I would
>     appreciate if anyone can let me know any other Finnish-like cases)
>
>     From Hong Kong,
>     Ian Joo
>     http://ianjoo.academia.edu

> Jane Simpson
> Private e-mail

Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at shh.mpg.de)
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10
D-07745 Jena
&
Leipzig University