[Lingtyp] query: "animal"

Jan Rijkhoff linjr at cc.au.dk
Sun Oct 14 08:43:50 UTC 2018

A reminder: the larger issue (matters of ‘categorization’, also of linguistic entities) was discussed 2 or 3 years ago on this list.
This resulted in a special issue of LT (20-2, 2016) on cross-linguistic comparison (‘Of categories: Language particular - comparative – universal’).
Here is a quotation from my contribution to this issue, showing that it is hardly surprising to find that ‘animal’ means different things in different languages:

“The fact that people may take different decisions in matters of categorization was already anticipated by the British philosopher John Locke (1689/1825: 322). In ‘An essay concerning human understanding’ he concluded that all categories are the products of our cognitive system, i.e. without us humans, there would be no categories:

“Men determine the sorts of substances, which may be sorted variously. From what has been said, it is evident that men make sorts of things. For, it being different essences alone that make different species, it is plain that they who make those abstract ideas which are the nominal essences do thereby make the species, or sort. ...
… Nature makes many particular things, which do agree one with another in many sensible qualities, and probably too in their internal frame and constitution: but it is not this real essence that distinguishes them into species; it is men who, taking occasion from the qualities they find united in them, and wherein they observe often several individuals to agree, range them into sorts, in order to their naming, for the convenience of comprehensive signs; …”

In other words, since it is humans who do the categorization, we decide what is contained in the category adjective or how we rank entities on a scale of animacy or actuality. How we define categories or which features count as ‘relevant’ or ‘necessary’ depends on one’s theory, goals, method, data and, last but not least, cultural factors, so disagreement is an inherent aspect of the categorization enterprise. It is probably easier to agree on what counts as a member of the category Bird (but see Bulmer 1967) than to agree on what counts as a member of the category Adjective - but this is just a matter of degree.”

Bulmer, Ralph. 1967. Why is the cassowary not a bird? A problem of zoological taxonomy among the Karam of the New Guinea highlands. Man 2(1). 5-25.

Jan