[Lingtyp] query: "animal"

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Tue Oct 16 12:50:43 UTC 2018

Dear Mattis,

Thanks for your response.  I have just one question/comment (a bit of
both, actually), and please excuse me if the answer is actually already
clearly spelled out in your database and website.  (Of course I could
just pop across the hallway and ask you this, but I think this
discussion is of sufficient general interest to justify letting the
entire list in on it.)

Let me illustrate my question with reference to
https://clics.clld.org/graphs/subgraph_619, which purports to show
colexifications for ANIMAL.  My problem is that I do not know what
exactly is meant by ANIMAL.  Since BIRD appears on the graph, my first
assumption was that ANIMAL doesn't include things like eagles and
sparrows, and that what the line connecting ANIMAL and BIRD shows, when
I run my cursor over it, is that, whatever ANIMAL means, it is
colexified with whatever BIRD means in the 9 languages that are then
listed to the right.  Already that strikes me as odd, given that, from
the discussion of the last few days, it appears that ANIMAL and BIRD are
colexified in lots of other languages, including major ones such as
German, Mandarin and Indonesian (if not, perhaps, everyday English).
But ignoring that, I then assumed that your ANIMAL probably has a more
limited extension, perhaps restricted to such prototypical entities as
dogs, cats, giraffes, and so forth.  But then I see OX, BULL and COW
listed separately, with no lines at all connecting them to ANIMAL, even
though, presumably and by definition, any word for ANIMAL in any
language would include, in its extension, oxen, bulls and cows, amongst
others.  So I am now bewildered ...

What I guess I don't quite understand is how CLICS represents
relationships of hyponymy, or strict inclusion — which is, in a sense,
the subject of my original query.  If you were to create a graph
referring exclusively to (disjoint) basic level concepts, e.g. CAT, DOG,
EAGLE, WORM, EEL etc, then I suppose your method could be invoked to
show how, say, in Language A, CAT, DOG, EAGLE, WORM, EEL were all
colexified with a single superordinate term, call it "ANIMAL1", while in
Language B the corresponding superordinate term colexified CAT, DOG,
EAGLE, WORM to the exclusion of EEL, call it "ANIMAL2".  So my original
query, "What does 'animal' mean?" would receive its answer from an
analysis of such patterns of colexification.  But if, as in
https://clics.clld.org/graphs/subgraph_619, ANIMAL is presupposed as one
of the original concepts, then I don't see how CLICS, in its current
form, can be used to answer my query.

Don't get me wrong: I think CLICS is a great tool, and as you know, I
have already used it in one of my own papers (on the colexification of
DO and GIVE — though come to think of it, even there, the issue of
hyponymy rears its head, seeing as how GIVE is a hyponym of DO).  It's
just that I don't see how it can be used to answer the specific question
that I posed.

Best wishes,

David