[Lingtyp] Applicative and preposition

Françoise Rose francoise.rose at univ-lyon2.fr
Wed Oct 17 13:36:12 UTC 2018

Dear Simon,

Thanks for your query, it’s very interesting.

I just gave a talk at SWL8 on an applicative construction of Mojeño that is correlated with the presence of verbal classifiers that refer to a location. When such a verbal classifier is present, the “coreferential” NP can be expressed as an object rather than an oblique (i.e. it loses its preposition, as in the second example below). Interestingly, there is some variation. The preposition can be maintained in the locative phrase, even when the verbal classifier is present, but there is then no valency change (so the construction does not count as an applicative). Intransitive verbs take a 3rd person subject t-prefix, while transitive verbs take some semantically more specific prefixes for 3rd person when the object is third person also (as in the second example). So this case is not exactly what you were looking for, but the presence of three alternates here is interesting: the construction of example 3 could well be an intermediate step in the development of the applicative effect of classifiers.

t-junopo=po

te

smeno

3-run=pfv

prep

art.nh

woods

'S/he ran to/in/from the woods.'

ñi-jumpo-je-cho

smeno

3m-run-clf:interior-act

art.nh

woods

S/he runs inside the woods.

t-jumpo-je-cho

te

smeno

3-run-clf:interior-act

prep

art.nh

woods

S/he ran inside the woods.

The slides from my presentation can be downloaded from SWL8 website.
Very best,

Françoise ROSE
Directrice de Recherches 2ème classe, CNRS
Laboratoire Dynamique Du Langage (CNRS/Université Lyon2)
16 avenue Berthelot
69007 Lyon
FRANCE
(33)4 72 72 64 63