[Lingtyp] Applicative and preposition

Adam James Ross Tallman ajrtallman at utexas.edu
Wed Oct 17 14:45:49 UTC 2018

Hello,

I know of some phenomena that is similar to this (I think) in Chácobo and
other languages. But I have a question about terminology here. Why is it
still an applicative if a (n oblique?) postposition is marked on the
"promoted" argument? What are the criteria that identify it as "promoted"
in this case (non-repeatability, position in clause etc...). Or is there
some type of semantic criterion at work here?

best,

Adam

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 9:36 AM Françoise Rose <francoise.rose at univ-lyon2.fr>
wrote:

> Dear Simon,
>

> Thanks for your query, it’s very interesting.
>

> I just gave a talk at SWL8 on an applicative construction of Mojeño that
> is correlated with the presence of verbal classifiers that refer to a
> location. When such a verbal classifier is present, the “coreferential” NP
> can be expressed as an object rather than an oblique (i.e. it loses its
> preposition, as in the second example below). Interestingly, there is some
> variation. The preposition can be maintained in the locative phrase, even
> when the verbal classifier is present, but there is then no valency change
> (so the construction does not count as an applicative). Intransitive verbs
> take a 3rd person subject t-prefix, while transitive verbs take some
> semantically more specific prefixes for 3rd person when the object is
> third person also (as in the second example). So this case is not exactly
> what you were looking for, but the presence of three alternates here is
> interesting: the construction of example 3 could well be an intermediate
> step in the development of the applicative effect of classifiers.
>

> t-junopo=po
>
> *te*

> smeno
>
> 3-run=pfv
>
> *prep*
>
> art.nh
>
> woods
>
> 'S/he ran *to/in/from* the woods.'
>

> ñi-jumpo*-je*-cho

> smeno
>
> 3m-run*-clf:interior*-act
>
> art.nh
>
> woods
>
> S/he runs *inside* the woods.
>

> t-jumpo*-je*-cho
>
> *te*

> smeno
>
> 3-run*-clf:interior*-act
>
> *prep*
>
> art.nh
>
> woods
>
> S/he ran inside the woods.
>

> The slides from my presentation can be downloaded from SWL8 website.
>
> Very best,
>

> Françoise ROSE
>
> Directrice de Recherches 2ème classe, CNRS
>
> Laboratoire Dynamique Du Langage (CNRS/Université Lyon2)
>
> 16 avenue Berthelot
>
> 69007 Lyon
>
> FRANCE
>
> (33)4 72 72 64 63
>
> www.ddl.cnrs.fr/ROSE

Adam J.R. Tallman
Investigador del Museo de Etnografía y Folklore, la Paz
PhD, UT Austin