[Lingtyp] Applicative and preposition

Eitan Grossman eitan.grossman at mail.huji.ac.il
Wed Oct 17 15:38:07 UTC 2018

Hi all,

If I understand Françoise's data correctly, it looks like we might be on
grounds that are similar to what one finds with other valency-changing
operations sometimes, i.e., in terms of some coding or behavioral
properties, a construction behaves like a transitive construction, but in
others it doesn't. In other words, sometimes different properties don't
converge on picking out the same grammatical relation.

Just as an example, Kirill Kozhanov's (2016) very nice articles discusses
applicativizing prefixes in Lithuanian, showing that some applied objects
show accusative case, genitive of negation, promotion to S when passivized,
incompatibility with detransitive ('reflexive') markers, do not allow
another object, and so on. Others show only some of these properties. There
seems to be a hierarchy of such properties, but it wasn't fully worked out,
because Kozhanov decided that if an argument doesn't meet all of the
requirements, it isn't fully a P, but rather a kind of adjunct.

So there is then a question as to whether one wants to talk about
transitivity at the level of individual properties (e.g., "Construction X
is transitive in terms of case, but not in terms of indexing", etc.) or
whether one wants to restrict transitivity to a particular constellation of
properties (e.g., "Construction X is transitive iff it has all properties
of the construction with 'break'"). Of course, one could equally talk about
this in terms of the arguments or grammatical relations ("Argument X
behaves like or aligns with P in terms of property Y, but not Z").

There have been arguments in the direction of the latter approach, e.g.,
Bickel (2011) and Witzlack-Makarevich (2010), as well as (apparently)
a forthcoming
book <https://benjamins.com/catalog/tsl.123> by the same authors.

Best,
Eitan

Bickel, Balthasar, 2011. Grammatical relations typology. In: Song, Jae Jung
<http://www.zora.uzh.ch/view/authors_for_linking_in_citation/Song=3AJae_Jung=3A=3A.html>,
ed., *The Oxford Handbook of Language Typology*. Oxford: Oxford University
Press, 399–444.A

Kozhanov, Kirill. 2016. Verbal prefixation and argument structure in
Lithuanian, in: Axel Holvoet & Nicole Nau (eds.). *Argument realization in
Baltic, *363-402. Amsterdam, Philadelphia: John Benjamins

Witzlack-Makarevich, Alena. 2011. *Typological variations in grammatical
relations*. Leipzig: University of Leipzig dissertation.

Witzlack-Makarevich, Alena & Balthasar Bickel, eds., *Argument selectors:
New perspectives on grammatical relations*. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.