[Lingtyp] Applicative and preposition

Doris Payne dlpayne at uoregon.edu
Wed Oct 17 17:41:08 UTC 2018

On typological (and historical) variation in the syntax of Bantu applicative forms (including with and without adpositions), I recommend the following dissertation:

Pacchiarotti, Sara. 2016. Bantu Applicative Construction Types Involving *-Id: Form, Functions and Diachrony. University of Oregon: PhD dissertation.

Partial Abstract:

This dissertation first addresses various shortcomings in definitions of "applicative" when compared to what is actually found across languages. It then proposes a four-way distinction among applicative constructions, relevant at least to Bantu […]. Because of the gradual nature of historical change, differences among construction types may be somewhat graded. In what are called Type A applicative constructions, the applicative morpheme expands the argument structure of its root by introducing an obligatorily present applied phrase. This expansion might result, but need not, in increased syntactic valence of the derived verb stem. […] In Type B applicative constructions, the applicative expands the argument structure of its root by introducing an obligatorily present applied phrase and performs other semantic/pragmatic functions on the applied phrase or on the whole clause (e.g. the applied phrase becomes the narrow-focused constituent in the clause). As in Type A, syntactic valence might be increased, but need not be. In Type C applicative constructions, the applicative does not introduce an applied phrase. Instead, it provides semantic nuances to the lexical meaning of its root [ …] Fourthly, in Pseudo-applicative constructions, the applicative morpheme found on a lexicalized stem does not introduce an applied phrase and does not perform semantic and/or pragmatic functions described for Type B and Type C.