[Lingtyp] Applicative and preposition

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Fri Oct 19 09:26:01 UTC 2018

Yes, transparent terms are ideal, but I think it's even more important
to have terms that mean what they always meant. Changing the meaning of
a term just because one realizes that the phenomena are richer is not a
good idea, because it introduces polysemy (and thus leads to confusion).

There is no standard nomenclature in our discipline, so for most people,
most traditional terms have narrow meanings that are determined by
stereotypes. These stereotypes are typically determined by a few
well-known languages that come up in textbooks again and again.

For example, "serial verb construction" (SVC), "incorporation", "labile
verb", and "passive" are other well-known terms for phenomena that cover
only parts of larger domains. SVCs have no linker between verbs but are
closely related to other multi-verb construction types that have such a
linker but otherwise SVC-like. What should we do? Extend the meaning of
"SVC" beyond the stereotype and start talking about "unlinked SVCs" and
"linked SVCs"?

My feeling is that if a well-known term has no clear definition but many
people use the term assuming that there is a definition (as happens all
the time in linguistics), it is best to give it a narrow definition and
introduce a new term for the larger domain.

Best,
Martin