[Lingtyp] Presupposition triggers in typological perspective

Kilu von Prince kilu.von.prince at hu-berlin.de
Thu Oct 25 06:31:55 UTC 2018

Dear Emily,

I believe this field is still incredibly understudied. Just my two cents:

Concerning factive verbs, for example, it appears that in some
languages, verb meanings are underspecified and only disambiguated by
the shape of their complement clauses. So a verb may mean "know" with
a realis complement clause but "be able to" with an irrealis/potential
complement clause. So the factivity, in this case, does not seem to
come in as a presupposition lexically encoded by the verb, but as a
property of the complement clause. I have recently submitted a paper
with Anna Margetts on some relevant phenomena, which I'd be happy to
share with you. Similar cases have been described in Bogal-Allbritten
2016.

Elizabeth Bogal-Allbritten. Building meaning in Navajo. PhD thesis,
University of Massachussetts, 2016.

Concerning lexemes such as "again", I've found that in Daakaka, there
does not appear to be a difference between "again" and "also", which
must mean at least that the presupposition is not specific to events
vs other individuals, but I haven't looked into it more and I don't
know if there is any literature on this type of cross-linguistic
variation yet.

Concerning personal names, my impression is that they do come with the
presupposition that the listener should be able to identify the
referent in all languages that I know, but this might not always be
apparent to an outsider observing a "society of intimates" in
Trudgill's terms. Moreover, I found in the mostly oral languages of
Vanuatu that referent tracking is often performed more dynamically,
that is, the main speaker will tell the plot, and listeners will
supply names to make references explicit.

Best,
Kilu