[Lingtyp] query: "blue"/"green" and dialectal variation in English SUM

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Thu Apr 11 15:11:01 UTC 2019

Dear all,

My query below, on "blue"/"green" in English, did not elicit an
avalanche of responses, but I did get a few interesting ones addressed
to me personally, for which many thanks.

Bottom line: nobody seem to be familiar with any existing descriptions
of cross-dialectal variation with respect to the applicability of "blue"
and "green" to various in-between shades blue/green.

My own survey, now totaling over 600 subjects, did reveal significant
cross-dialectal variation, the highlights of which are presented in the
attached table, summarizing the results for the three in-between
blue-green colours in the survey.  (The survey is now closed; thanks to
everybody who responded.)

The left-hand column shows the number of respondents for each of the
major dialects in the survey. The remaining cells show percentages of
respondents who chose "blue" over "green" as the correct colour term.

Stimulus 6 turned out to be less interesting: in all dialects it evinced
a strong preference for "green" over "blue". Stimuli 2 and 8 are the
interesting ones, and for the most part they correlate closely in their
scores. The dialects are ordered by their scores for Stimulus 8, ranging
from New Zealand, the most green-favouring, to USA, the most
blue-favouring. Lumping together the New Zealand and Australia
significant at a level of p < 0.001.

I find it fascinating that there's still stuff out there to be
discovered about colour terms in English.

Finally, for a somewhat different (though still English-specific)
perspective on the subject, you might wish to check out the following
fun sites (thanks to Tiago Tresoldi):

https://blog.xkcd.com/2010/05/03/color-survey-results/
http://xkcd.com/color/rgb/

David