[Lingtyp] valence markers and wide scope

Bohnemeyer, Juergen jb77 at buffalo.edu
Tue Apr 16 05:30:26 UTC 2019

Hello David — Yucatec Maya has compound verb stems that pattern like morphologically compact SVCs. Valence-changing morphology operates on the entire compound stem. In fact, transitive compound stems obligatorily include transitivizing morphology. Here’s an old handout of mine that discusses the phenomenon:

http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~jb77/Handouts/verb_compounding_SSILA.pdf

The handout doesn’t include passive examples, but here’s one (elicited):

Le=máak=o’         t-u=mèet-ah                           u=xíik+ch’ìin-t-a'l
DEF=person=D2 PRV-A3=make-CMP(B3SG)  A3=break.apart+pelt-APP-PASS.INC

le=bàaso  tuméen le=xibpal=o’
DEF=cup CAUSE  DEF=male:child=D2

‘The man made the boy smash the cups’;
lit. ‘The man, he made the cups be shatter-pelted by the boy’

HTH! — Juergen