[Lingtyp] valence markers and wide scope

Adam James Ross Tallman ajrtallman at utexas.edu
Tue Apr 16 18:56:11 UTC 2019

Thanks for the comments David, Jurgen and David!

The Nuuchahnulth data is fascinating and the copying phenomena is
particularly striking! There's nothing like copying in the domain of
coordinate (or coordinate-like) constructions in Chacobo.

Basically what I'm looking at are constructions like what follows, where
the causative cannot be elided in certain constructions, but can be in
others

Asyndetic coordination: =ma causative wide-scope is banned, it must occur
in both forms.

[image: image.png]

Syndetic same subject coordination, the =ma *can* (does not have to) be
elided and have wide scope.
[image: image.png]

There are some valence markers that are not fully productive (they only
occur with certain roots) and these ones cannot be elided under
coordination. The passive is an example of a valence-adjustment morpheme
that is fully productive and also cannot elide in any construction from
what I can tell.

[image: image.png]
But interestingly it can variably order with the causative morpheme - so
there's evidence that it is structurally in the same position, but for some
reason it cannot elide.

Adam