[Lingtyp] Topic and focus markers with other functions

Bohnemeyer, Juergen jb77 at buffalo.edu
Sat Aug 3 15:31:08 UTC 2019

Dear all — There are two important distinctions that bear on this discussion:

* Semantic vs. pragmatic meaning (in particular, conversational implicature)

* Polysemy vs. homophony.

For the following, I’m assuming two expressions (morphemes, phrases, constructions) X and Y, which cooccur (not necessarily adjacently), and when they do, Y is associated with meaning B, while X is associated with meaning A across all of X's uses. Schematically:

X … Y
 |       |
A      B

Szenario 1: When Y occurs in the context of X, the interpretation of Y frequently, but not in all cases, takes on interpretation B. In this case, the co-occurrence of X and Y may conversationally implicate B, but does not semantically express B (in other words, contribute a B entailment or B presupposition to utterances that feature it in suitable contexts).

This is the case, for example, of telicity in Russian, which is expressed overtly via verbal prefixes (simplifying slightly here for the sake of argument) and statistically associated with semantic definiteness, which is not overtly expressed. The presence of a telic prefix on a transitive verb is a cue to the definiteness of the direct object. But the telic prefixes don’t express object definiteness because their use isn’t restricted to VPs with telic objects.

In Eva’s example, if ergative case is only statistically associated with focus, then its use is a focus cue, but it isn’t a focus marker.

Scenario 2: Like Szenario 1, but now Y *always* takes on interpretation B whenever it occurs in the presence of X. In this case, we can consider the *use* of X in the context of Y an expression of B. But whether we should consider X itself an expression of B depends on X’s other uses. Obviously, if X is always associated with B in all its uses, then X is for all intents and purposes an expression of B. But if X is only associated with B when it occurs in the context of Y, then we have to consider additional evidence.

Take Martin’s example of Spanish _a_. Its use as marking direct objects (in other words, as expressing accusative case) is restricted to animate objects. But “the same preposition” has spatial uses which do not bear this restriction. The question whether _a_ can be said to express animacy is in first approximation pragmatically the same as the question whether _a_ expresses accusative (“pragmatically the same” because it must be decided on the same grounds): do we consider the spatial (allative) and syntactic (accusative) uses of this preposition to constitute polysemy or homophony? If we decide to go with polysemy, then animacy is at most part of one polysemous sense of _a_. But if we go with homophony, then we wind up with two homophonous prepositions, one of which can be said to express accusative case (if we want to postulate nominal case marking in Spanish) and animacy.

Wise men and women have looked at the distinction between polysemy and homophony and decided to give it wide berth :-) There are semantic diagnostics, but they’re in many instances inapplicable or yield unreliable judgments. Outside such tests, psycholinguists, descriptive linguists, historical linguists, and computational linguists all have their different grounds and motivations for preferring polysemous or homophonous analyses of a given phenomenon, which are well-motivated within their own disciplines.

To bring matters back to the domain of focus (and Fritz’ query), consider focus particles such as _only_: should we consider _only_ an expression of focus? Obviously, the overwhelming majority of foci in English do not occur with _only_, so _only_ can’t be an obligatory expression of focus. But the question is really whether _only_ is always associated with focus across all its uses. If so, then for all intents and purposes, _only_ expresses focus (and so do all other focus particles that always co-occur with focus). I’m not sure what the correct answer is (I’ve never worked on focus particles), but my sense is that it is possible to construct perhaps slightly tortured examples in which the association is broken:

(1) [Q: At the party last night, everybody was imbibing liberally except for one person who had one beer and then left. Who was that? - A:] It was Floyd who had only one beer.

(One might argue that _only_ is associated with a secondary focus in (1), but the important point for me is that the property of having consumed one beer is already built into (and backgrounded by) the question under discussion, so based on discourse-pragmatic notions of focus that rely on this criterion, the use of _only_ in (1) is not focus-related.)

Finally, Peter Austin brought up Michael Silverstein’s use of ‘function’. The key question is indeed whether meaning B is a function, in the algebraic sense, of the combination X … Y. This use of the term ‘function’ aligns with Montague’s, who famously proposed a formulation of the Principle of Compositionality that relies on this notion (whereas Frege’s original formulation makes use of the metaphor of semantic and syntactic composition being mirror images of one another).

That said, I don’t think it would be particularly helpful to say that 'B is a function of X’ instead of ‘X expresses/marks B’. But, I’m not sure that Peter (or Michael) meant to suggest that.

Best — Juergen